08 December 2007

8 on the 8th

Done!!!! I'm very pleased with myself. I awoke this morning to find a beautiful blue sky and sunshine. You would never know we just had a week of rain and wind. Ahhh, the joys of living on an island in the middle of the ocean :)

Anyway, I was excited to run. So I got up, had my coffee and got ready to run. It was 7:30 and absolutely beautiful.

I headed out and it just felt so good to be running again. I was smiling and waving at everyone, I'm sure they thought I had lost my mind. I was in one of my very cute running skirts so I know I looked as great as I felt. I think I was a little too excited to be running though. My first mile was 9:54. Dude, I do not run that fast unless something large and dangerous is chasing me. Since I was going on my longest run to date I figured I'd better slow down some.

I took it back down to about 12:00 and that was much better. Interesting side note: I wore my Garmin today for the first time in a while. I've been wanting to focus on just the running but now I figure it's time to start "training." I kept looking at my HR to see what it was and it was consistently low. The highest it ever got was 165 going up a hill. Otherwise, my average HR was 100. When I would take a little walk break it would drop fairly rapidly to 70. Either I'm in much better shape than I thought I was or my Garmin is malfunctioning.

Back to the run. I started to slow down after about the 3rd mile. Going out so fast really screwed me later on. I had to take about 4 walk breaks on the way back, something I'm trying to get away from. Also, I kept slowing down to check my HR since I just did not believe it.

I ended at 4.54 miles in 59:31. I then rode my exercise bike for 3.5 miles in 20 minutes. So for the day, I'm at 8.04 miles in 1:19:31. I'm very, very happy with those numbers. Now it's off to the showers and some food.

3 comments:

Vickie said...

Woo hoo! You beat me! Great job getting the 8 on 8 done!

Nancy said...

Great job improvising!! We are pleased as punch that you found a way to do 8 miles. That first mile was a killer!! :D

Pokey said...

Something would DEFINITELY be chasing me at that pace too!!!

Nice job geeting the 8 miles done :)

Conversation with Hubby

 So yesterday morning I presented my idea of working out at home to the Hubby. Once I presented it to him, he said he was in. I told him I h...